Monday, August 6, 2007

2 Lt. Olson

I am now a commissioned officer in the United States Army Reserve. It was a fun evening. Basically the order of events went like this:

-I welcomed people and thanked them for being there.
-Our pastor opened with prayer.
-We watched a video testimony of Chaplain (Major) Dave Bowlus that was published by the Christian and Missionary Alliance.
-Message from my Father, Colonel Walter Olson (Ret.) and issue of the Oath
-Pinning of my 2nd Lt. Bars - My wife and mom ceremonially pinned on brass 2nd Lt bars on
my collar. No, they are not official, but for the purpose of the ceremony, it was right. My son
"stuck" my velcro 2nd Lt. rank on the front of my uniform. It was really fun.
-First Salute by one of my best friends, SSG Brian Swomley. After this, I passed on to him a silver dollar, as is tradition, and a C&MA Chaplains Challenge Coin.
-Short Message by me - I focussed on relying upon the plans of God as we take steps to follow Him.
-Another Video testimony, by Chaplain (Major) Kevin Pies
-Close in prayer


It was a great time. It was really exciting to have my dad speak and issue me the oath. He started his "speech" with a funny introduction. Basically he told the people how my Grandfather and Uncle spent four years preparing to be an officer at West Point. He told them how he thought he did well by completing Officers Candidate School in nine weeks as an Army Reservist. But me. All I have to do is write a letter and make some phone calls and I'm in! It was fun.

It was also great to have one of my best friends there to salute me. It is an Army tradition to pass on a dollar, in this case a silver dollar, to the person who offers a newly commissioned officer his first salute. It was also a lot of fun. All in all it was a great ceremony.

At this point all the paper work I needed to get in, to go to Chaplains Officers Basic this fall is in and the Chaplain Candidate Manager says I am ready to go. I must say, I feel ready to go. It is an exciting time!


Rob

4 comments:

Amy said...

Yippee!!! Congrats, Rob. I'm so excited for you. What an awesome memory to carry with you as you begin this journey.

Dave said...

Congrats 2 LT,

I really appreciate you sharing the order of your service. Besides my grandfather, who was drafted during Korea, I will be the first in my family to serve. That being the case, these kind of things are pretty foreign to me.

Can you tell me how to obtain those video testimonies? I really like the idea of that and I'm not sure that the Southern Baptists have the same kind of thing.

Congrats again!

zack said...

Congrats Rob! May your new journey be a blessed one.

Amy Bell said...

Congrats!