Saturday, April 21, 2007

We've Got a Plan

I don't know what your theology is on making plans versus allowing God to guide each step. I have really wrestled with this in the past and have come to a place where I feel comfortable in my walk with Jesus. I used to believe it was faithless to make plans. I believed that I needed to wait on God and allow him to move in my life. This is a far cry from my natural tendencies. I am one who likes to see a plan laid out. And while I am glad that God took me to that place, I think I have found a more realistic place to live. Now, I ask God to guide the plans I make. And then in the midst of working through those plans, I realize God may change them.

I have the next year pretty well worked out. I start my first class through Liberty at the beginning of May. By fall, I am taking two classes every eight weeks. In January, I'll take some time off from classes and attend CHOBLC for six weeks. After CHOBLC, I will have four classes to complete by July allowing me to go to phases 2 and 3 next summer. And in the midst of this, I have to finish ordination and eventually apply for active duty. Yes, it will be a little busy. But here's where I feel I've grown: this next year may not work out like I have planned! Something may come up and I may have to change my plans. So be it. But, I feel that it is important to have something to shoot for. I don't know where the quote comes from but it goes something like this, "Aim at nothing and you'll hit it every time." I believe that making plans does not quench the Holy Spirit in my life. It allows me to go for something recognizing that if God has something else in mind, he will show me. So that's our plan. My wife and I are pumped about it! We are enjoying the process of watching our son grow and look expectantly to the birth of a new baby in September. And then we'll just keep on walking. Asking God to guide each step we take as we walk with Him.

Rob

No comments: