Monday, June 25, 2007

Distance Learning

With the vast number of distance learning opportunities today, many people take advantage of getting more education through distance learning. This is great in that it allows someone who cannot take the time off of work or does not have the freedom to move to a new location to take classes and gain an education. But it is not so good because you don't have the classroom synergy that takes place in the educational setting, especially in adult education (i.e. graduate school). I was watching a DVD lecture the other day and at the end the professor asked those present if they had any questions. I was certainly not there, but when no one asked anything, I started yelling at the TV trying to tell the good professor that I had a question. Imagine my surprise when he did not recognize my hand and call on me. I miss the interaction I had at Huntington with fellow students as we struggled through understanding new concepts or new ministry ideas. I miss being able to ask the professor a question. I mean, he is the professional and I sometimes just don't get the idea being presented. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the opportunity Liberty provides me. We couldn't move right now, and with me being a stay-at-home dad, this is the best possible solution, but I sure do miss the classroom interaction.


Rob

1 comment:

Dave said...

Rob,

I have found myself in the same place on more than one occasion. Fortunately, I have also found that the professors are usually very willing to answer emailed questions. So far I have only interacted with the graders because they have always been able to answer my question, but have heard that the actual profs on the DVDs also answer questions. It's still not the same as in person interaction, but it has helped me.