Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Week or A Month?

Wow, what a long first few days. I really have not had time to blog because of needing to get some sleep each night. I have also had some internet problems which have made blogging very challenging.

Today was our first day in uniform. As I write the 8:00 bugle is sounding. Only one hour till taps. I must admit, I do enjoy the bugle. While I can't say I remember hearing reveille when I was growing up, I do remember "retreat" and "to the colors." Retreat is the bugle call at five o'clock followed by a shot from a cannon and then "to the colors" is played while the flag is lowered. At the first note of "to the colors" if outside, you are to salute the flag but if inside, you are only to stand at attention. So while in a briefing today, after the cannon sounded, the NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) shouted "Attention" and we all snapped to attention right there at our tables. It was cool.

Yesterday during in-processing while I was getting blood drawn and many vaccinations, I talked to a Sergeant First Class that is about to deploy for his fourth deployment. He was also explaining to this very "green" soldier, (me) how the Army is set up so much differently today than it was in the past. We only talked for about five minutes, but I so appreciated the time to talk with him. When I was getting up to head over to the in-processing desk, he shook my hand and said how he appreciated what I do. Wow, he appreciates me? Man, I'm just a newbie who officially put his uniform on for the first time today, and he appreciates what I do? Needless to say, I appreciate what he does and has done for a career of fifteen years in the Army.

While it's only been about a week since I left home, I certainly miss my wonderful wife and little boys. We talk regularly, but it is difficult. I will try to continue to post somewhat regularly. Hopefully I'll get this Internet thing worked out soon. Then I can post some of the pictures I've taken.

Friday we have the first PFT test and Saturday we get to repel from Victory Tower. What an exciting time it is.

Thanks for reading,

Rob

1 comment:

Jason Fletcher said...

Hey Rob,

Glad to hear you're getting somewhat settled in. Hope the repelling went well.

Fletcher