Saturday, March 17, 2007

Making a Mess

Have you ever noticed how cleaning sometimes makes more of a mess than it was before? Well, today I am cleaning my little office, reorganizing my files, (which is way overdo) and throwing a ton of junk in the trash. I am basically going through all my folders from my grad. school classes thus far and am trying to organize all the information I got in those great classes.

It's interesting how the Army has changed in the past few years. When I first started praying about the Army Chaplaincy, I would have been required to get an Masters of Divinity and have two years of pastoring after graduation before I could apply for active duty. Now, for I'm sure many reasons, an Army Chaplain needs only 72 graduate level hours with a certain number of hours in five different categories. And in regards to the two years of service after graduation: the Army is willing to waive it if the Endorsing Denomination says the person has sufficient experience. Not that I am against school, but it's interesting how things change. The school I am attending, Huntington University Graduate School of Christian Ministries does not have an MDiv. And while in no way would I criticize anyones particular educational process, I have loved my educational experience. My MA in Pastoral Ministries is only 42 hours, so I need another 30 to fulfill the Army requirements. I will probably take some online courses to fill some of the slots in the five categories I mentioned earlier and focus on taking some extra counseling courses at my current school to prepare for the many opportunities for counseling I'm sure I will have in the Army. I still have to talk to the recruiter about this possibility. But, if it all works out, and if the Lord opens the doors, I hope to be done by next spring or summer. We'll see.

As far as ministry experience. God has given my wife and I a number of amazing ministry opportunities, from church planting to jail ministry. It has been good and I can honestly look back and be thankful that God gave me these experiences before my wife and I went full force into the process of joining the Army.

It has been and will continue to be an amazing adventure as we daily walk with our loving God.

2 comments:

Jason Fletcher said...

Awesome site, bro. Thanks for the family photo. You guys are definitely in our prayers as you seek to fulfill God's call on your life.

Jason Fletcher said...

Thanks for adding the book list. I need to show you how to do some amazon links.