Monday, March 19, 2007

The Root of my Calling

The title of my blog is Rob's Calling. But I want anyone who happens upon this little blog amidst the massiveness of the world wide web to understand the basis of this call.

It is a relationship. It is not a religion. It is not just a faith group labeled by sociologists. It is a relationship with the living God. I've recently begun reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. Oh my! I strongly encourage anyone to pick it up. Anyway, I can't comment on the whole of it yet, because I have only begun the book, but I can comment on the first couple pages. The first line of the book is powerful. Tozer writes, "Christian theology teaches the doctrine of prevenient grace, which, briefly stated, means that before man can seek God, God must first have sought the man." Do you know what this means? The God of all creation seeks to have a relationship with me. Not because I am good. Not because I have anything of value accept that I am his child. You see, the root of my calling is based on my relationship with God through the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Because without Jesus, my imperfection separates me from a perfect God. But because of my faith in Jesus as the perfect sacrifice, God no longer sees my screw ups, he sees Jesus. And as a result, I can fellowship with him!

I wanted to write this tonight because I am constantly amazed at the blessings I have in knowing him. I have been a follower of Christ for 21 years. And the fact that God loves me and wants to walk with me daily still blows me away.

Let me encourage you that if you are also a follower of Christ, continue to seek him and build on the relationship you already have. If you are not a follower of Christ, I encourage you to pursue God. Don't get tripped up by religion, just pursue Jesus.

No comments: