Friday, March 16, 2007

MEPS

MEPS is an acronym. The Army is full of them. It stands for Military Entrance Processing Station. Anyway, they are located all around the country. Basically it is the most intense physical out there. I can't imagine the NFL conducts physicals like the ones at MEPS. Anyway, I was supposed to make my trip to MEPS physical today, but because of "possible gall stones" I was told to stay home. Now my records get sent to another doctor who decides if I need a consult from a surgeon. If he says I do, then hopefully it will happen quickly. If not I should be able to get to MEPS more quickly. A waiver basically says, "Hey, this thing you were worried about, well don't." So, thus begins the process. I honestly don't know what to think. I must admit I was really frustrated last night, but the Lord has calmed me down. I am trusting in His leading. Hopefully I will end up at MEPS sometime next week. We'll see.

By the way for those of you who are interested, my goal is to get all my paperwork in so I can be presented as a potential Chaplain Candidate by the time the April Boards meet. That way, I can hopefully attend CHBOLC this summer in Fort Jackson, SC. (More on that later.)

Feel free to check back. I will be adding options to this blog as time goes on. This is a first attempt for me, so it will take time.

Rob

1 comment:

The Ole '55 said...

Rob - My experience at MEPS in August of 1990 was unforgettable. First, I was old enough to be the father of most of the young men and women there. Boy, did I feel out of place.

Then, when I failed the "duck walk" flexibility test, the NCO took me to see an old curmudgeon of a doc who never looked up from his desk. He signed my waiver without ever looking in my direction. "If he can't do it when he gets in, he can go back to McDonalds." I had a masters degree and had been serving as a pastor for nearly 10 years. I don't believe that I've ever been so relieved and so insulted at the same time!

I hope that you and all the young men and women who volunteer their lives get more respect than I experienced!

In any case, I got over my bad experience at MEPS and have enjoyed over 16 years of ministry as an Army chaplain. Best wishes to you in the adventure ahead.