Saturday, March 24, 2007

Research

I'm in the process of completing a research project for my masters degree. It is called a "culmination project" but is kind of like a thesis. The goal is to do some new research that will be applicable to my ministry in the future.

I have been working on this on and off for the whole school year. My focus is basically looking at three different types of pastoral education; the seminary, the Bible College, and the local church or denominational training program and comparing them looking for the positive and negative aspects of each. After surveying four church programs, six seminaries, and three Bible colleges, I am convinced that each have their place for training up pastors. Now I get to look at the specifics of each and look for the positive and negative aspects of each type of training model. It has been quite fun but I am really looking forward to getting it completed. I have to turn in a rough draft sometime in the next couple weeks. That's not a problem because I have a lot of work already finished, I just have to analyze it and document it. It will be fun.

Why is this applicable to me? I believe that some day in my life of ministry, I will be a part of training up pastors for the ministry. I don't know when or what that looks like, but I wanted to look at different types of training models so I could both counsel people as they wrestle with their call to ministry and how to get their training and so I could figure out which would probably be the best fit for my gifts and talents. We'll see how God uses this. It will be interesting.

Updates on the Chaplaincy: Well, I'm still waiting on MEPS. I have everything completed that I can do to get my packet before the board which I am still hoping happens in April. I am just waiting to hear back on whether or not I need a waiver or a consult for my medical issues. In the mean time, I am trusting that God will open and close doors as He sees fit. I have probably called the recruiter every other day. Just want to make sure I don't take a back seat.

Rob

No comments: